Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Krafty Katie!

Well I have had a busy weekend! I have had an urge to start sewing and just making fun things for Lorelai since the moment she was born, and now it is starting to come full circle. With a little help from Kelly (my mother in law) and her sewing machine, I made a few fun little items over the weekend. All of it was super easy seeing as how I am as much of a beginner as they come, so if you want to know how I made any of it, I'd be happy to show you!
Here is the tutu I made in a couple of hours...no sewing required on this one!

(I also have a lot of left over pink and brown tulle if anyone wants it!)
Here is the onesie that I had an idea for...Kelly actually sewed this one on to show me how. Great job Nana!

and last, but certainly not least, here are the baby legwarmers I have been DYING to make. They are made out of women's long socks....they are a little snug at the top (chunky child) so I now know to try the sock on her first!


Also, did you notice the large tush covering my kid is sporting? That's right, we are officially starting cloth diapering! (*Collective Gasp*)
I know, I know. I was one of the biggest mockers of all when it comes to this old-fashioned practice. How could I stand touching my child's poop with my bare hands? all of that laundry? and what about the piles of diapers waiting to be washed smelling up her room? Well, three things happened. First, I became a mom and realized that no matter what, I was going to have to touch my baby's poop. I've had it leaked on me and just plain shot out at me. Not as big a deal as it sounded. Second, I realized that I needed to start saving money, and this was one way to do it. and Third, I did a TON research and found out that you no longer have to rinse the poop off diapers (thanks to disposable liners that you just flush), they now make all in ones that are just like regular diapers, but a little bigger (and cuter! this is just a plain white one Lorelai is wearing, but the others have super cute designs!) and that the laundry isnt that bad...and doesnt stink up her room if thrown into the right concoction of baking soda and vinegar. I will keep everyone updated and we'll see if I stick with this. I have been researching for about 2 months now so this isn't something I'm rushing into. I am starting out using Kushies all in ones (5 in a pack for $38.00 on Wal-mart.com!!! you can NOT beat that!) Kushies disposable liners, some cloth liners and thirsties covers (THANK YOU Aunt Melissa!!!) and some good old fashioned pre-folds with plastic gerber liners. Shout out to Elizabeth for allowing me to pick her brain over the course of like a MILLION e-mails.
That is all for now! Everyone have a great first week of September!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried Fuzzi Bunz for a while...bought them on Ebay but they kept leaking on me. I ended up selling them back on Ebay and got way more for them then I originally paid! Woohoo! We do disposables now...two kids in diapers :)

Where did you get the socks for the leg warmers? Did you just sew a hem on the end? Too cute!!! I just got a pair for Bella and I'm dying for it to get cold so I can put her in them!

Eat Your Vegetables said...

You go Krafty Gurrrrl. Do you LOVE the thirsties? How do they compare to the others you purchased? Sweet Melissa scored some for Ella, too and not a moment too soon since she'd just grown out of her "smalls"...crazy at 15 months old! She is all tall w/o the chunk...hmmmm, her dad's influence maybe?