Thursday, November 6, 2008

Busting out Deuteronomy

If you haven't read the blog Bring the Rain yet today, follow the link to the left (or right? I don't remember....) It is a great reminder to pray for your child (or children) not just daily, but all day every day. In our small group last week, we read a verse that I've read a million times, but I don't think I've read since becoming a mom. It's funny how you can read a verse all of your life, but the true meaning doens't impact you until it becomes applicable in your own life.
It was Deuteronomy 11:18-21:

"Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates, so that your days and the days of your children may be many in the land that the Lord swore to give your forefathers, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth."

I realized that I pray silently all day long and do my quiet times "quietly." These things are great, but I need to be training Lorelai to walk daily with God. I've always been so proud of the fact that we pray with her every night before we put her to bed, but that just seems so minimal after reading that verse. I challenge everyone else as I am challenging myself to "fix, tie, and bind" themselves to God's words, teaching them and talking about them, when you are sitting around at home or walking to get the mail. Post them around your house as reminders to your kids of the loving God we serve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm making the index cards right now! :) Love her blog!

Heidi Meurer said...

You have been "tagged." Go here to see exactly what that means: http://themeurersthree.blogspot.com/2008/11/my-sixth-picture-and-sammy-eats.html