Saturday, February 21, 2009

Pretty fishy!

The other day we had what was our closest to serious incident yet! It was not a serious incident, by the grace of God, but it was CLOSE and SCARY. Lorelai and I were having fun playing out in the backyard while we had workers inside finishing our floor tile, and we were playing on the deck. We went to get a closer look at the fish in our pond(can you tell where this is going?) I squatted down by Lorelai at the edge of the water, literally INCHES from her. Apparently she wanted a closer look. She took a step forward, tripped, and went head first into the pond. thank GOD I was right beside her, because it is just deep enough for the whole top of her body to go way in. Her little legs started kicking frantically on the edge, so I was able to grab on and yank her out IMMEDIATELY. She was gasping and panicking which made me gasp and panic, and we had a Dr. appt for that afternoon b/c I thought she had an ear infection (which she doesn't)so I called and told them even though it was their lunchtime, i was coming RIGHT THEN. Turns out she's fine. She didn't inhale too much nasty bacteria water, and she did hit her head on the bricks that hold up the fountain, but no concussion or permanent damage. It just took 10 years off my life, that's all.
Here's a pic of Lorelai yesterday with her bruised face:

Like I said, not that bad. Here's a pic of the pond in case you've never seen it and are wondering how big it is:

Don't be fooled by the small circumference. This pond is about 2-3 feet deep.
It's wierd because at the beginning of that day, I just had this urge to pray for God to give me the strength that I needed for that day. I remember wondering if someone I love was going to die, or if Lorelai was going to be fussy, or what it would be...
Thank God for his protection over this sweet girl!!!! (and for his forgiveness for all of the times I've thought: How could that parent have been so irresponsible to let this happen to their kid??) It literally happened within seconds. Scary!

***AS a side note: We are looking for a plastic kids playhouse and a plastic outdoor slide/climber combo. If you know anyone who is giving one away or selling one for cheap, PLEASE let us know! I check craigslist like every hour, so don't suggest that :)

Thanks!

3 comments:

Jodi said...

poor baby and poor mama! I bet you were more freaked out than she was!

Heidi Meurer said...

Glad she's ok!!! Yikes!

Granna said...

Mostly want to see if I can post this comment. :) Mean old fish pond! She's still adorable with the scratches on her face.