Wednesday, January 6, 2010

"Tot School" or something like that.....

Lorelai is 25 months, 3 weeks
So in my effort to post on this blog once a week, I've decided this would be a good place to help me track my progress in what I am loosely referring to as "Tot School." (I am going to put her age at the top to help me track when I did what...) I found this blog http://1plus1plus1equals1.blogspot.com/ and thought that it would be fun to start implementing some type of learning activities each week. My ultimate goal is to be able to convince Shawn (and, in doing so, convince myself) to let me homeschool Lorelai- atleast her first few years, and then maybe private school if we feel it isn't right for her/us. I was homeschooled for a couple of years (sixth, seventh, and half of eighth grade) and while I personally hated it, I'm hoping that if we start early enough and have some friends that jump on the bandwagon, we can create our own little co-op. SO, on that note, we started a new sensory activity last week that Lorelai looooooooooves!
It is just a large mixing bowl, 2 lbs of pinto beans, and two measuring cups.
Simple things in life, my friends.
I showed her how to scoop with one hand, and pour the beans into the cup that was in the other hand. We sat there for about thirty minutes and she thought it was so much fun.
As she was playing with it, I would make comments like "You are scooping with your right hand!" or "You are holding the bowl with your left hand!"
And guess what? She now knows her right from left.
Thanks to cousin Daniel, we are now teaching her to apply right and left to things other than her hands (ears, legs, eyes, etc) and I'm pretty convinced she is off the charts smart.
Sorry, I had to say it.
Full scholarship to Rice, anyone?
This week we are getting familiar with the letter A. I figure this year we will learn a letter a week and just become comfortable recognizing it. We will work on what sounds the letters make and more advanced things next year. I think we will also start to incorporate shapes and colors, although she already knows ALL of her colors and a few shapes (square, triangle, circle).

We are also getting ready for Auntie L and Chris's big day which is rapidly approaching. This Saturday seems to be racing towards us, and amazingly enough, I think we are pretty prepared! We only have a few things left to do to get ready, but nothing huge or stressful.
Which is just weird. Weddings are suppose to be stressful, right?
Am I the only one that had three full-on nervous breakdowns while wedding planning?
Of course, I'm a pretty good wedding planner and had I been able to be the bride at my own wedding and have an extra one of me to help me plan, I think I would've been much better off.

Well, that's it for this weeks post. I need to go wake up the little baby monster and get started with our day!

5 comments:

Eat Your Vegetables said...

Good for you! Keep it up. She IS super-duper smart.

Lindsay Leigh said...

This motivates me. I was thinking about doing the same thing for Joseph, but thought I was being too hard on my 3 year old. Now I see that it can be fun and simple, like scooping the beans. Oh, and the wedding, is there going to be dancing? Cause Jeff and I have been working on our moves.

Unknown said...

John knows the whole alphabet and can count to 20. He's pretty much smarter than me at this point.

The Littles said...

Lindsay- you can totally do it! and yes, there will be dancing, so I'm expecting big things from yall now. Andrew- that's awesome! I'm excited to re-learn everything as I teach it to her.

Unknown said...

Love it!! I'm definitely with you on the homeschooling. I didn't like it that much, but as I got older I really appreciated it.