Monday, April 13, 2009

Do-Over!

wow. What an overwhelming response to my last post. On one hand, I'm quite surprised that so many people I don't know are reading my blog (yes, I realize I posted a link to it on my Facebook. But, I have done it before with no response...) and on the other hand, I am quite overwhelmed because what I was writing was directed to a specific few and not meant to make people feel guilty for things they should NOT feel guilty about (being upset because of lost children, safety concerns, etc)
So, I am calling a do-over. Pastor Tom says that I can do that :)

Here is what I meant to say to EVERYONE that attended (or even did NOT attend) the Great Pearland Egg Drop:

Well, Saturday is what I would call a great failure in many ways, and a great success in more subtle ways. When we were planning for this event, Pastor Tom repeatedly stated that we were stirring the pot in Pearland, and satan was going to hear about it and try to make it fall apart.
And he did, but in ways that I think we did not expect (he is crafty, that satan...)
In my mind I was thinking, "great. NO one is going to come. No one is going to hear about it. No one is going to care. Or maybe it is going to storm and no one will be able to come." The weather was what I was most concerned about.
Who knew satan was planning to make this event such a success that it would get out of control? There were way too many people there. So many, that safety became a major issue, especially after the eggs dropped. (I would like to report, however, that all lost children were returned and that there were no major injuries, Praise God. Not to belittle anyone's concerns who did have a lost child or who's child was pushed or shoved or in any other way hurt. I am only looking at the positive side that there were no permanent injuries.)
So, onto my point. I am going to insert here some lines from the previous post:

I. Love. My. Church.

I love that we are real, and relevant, and I get messages on Sunday that are applicable all week long. I love that while we are "hip," we do not give false hope of a sublimely happy life in Christ Jesus. We are realistic. Sometimes harsh. ALWAYS truthful. I love that while we are compared to other churches in our area that reach out to the lost and unchurched, we do not sugarcoat the Christian life to suck in those who need the real God that we serve. We tell it like it is. We love God, God loves us in ways we cannot even grasp. Life is hard, but it is worth living with Christ in your life. You will make it with HIM. And not only survive, but thrive. But, it is hard.

That being said, I want to say that I, in no way, think my church is perfect. No church is, because it is made up of humans, and humans are...well... not perfect. We were told by the City of Pearland to expect 4,000-6,000 people there, MAX. We did not expect there to be what we estimate to have been about 12,000 people. We did not have enough volunteers, eggs, safety officers, popcorn or cotton candy. I don't know that there is any way we could have expected that much of a turn out.

We only desired so greatly that this event would allow us to show Christ to the community. And this is the very subtle way that this event was a success.

If your child was hurt or lost, I truly hope that there was a volunteer there to be kind and help calm your fears. To pray for the safety of your chld (which, even if you didn't know it, many of us were.) And to react to you with love. And, if there wasn't, I hope that you were able to react to those who hurt you or your child with the love of Christ (cause we know no momma has love for someone hurting her baby! maybe I'm speaking for myself...) (P.S. if you didn't you still have the opportunity to.)

Satan meant to turn this event into a disaster. In many ways, it was. But what satan meant to be a nightmare, God turned into an opportunity to respond by showing his love.

Our congregation does not advocate the pain and fear of lost or hurt chidren, just so that a few people can come to church. (You have to have read the last post's comments to know what I am referring to...) That was SO not the point that I was making when I said that this event was worth ***tiny inconveniences, such as having to wait in lines***

Quite the opposite. We were hurting for those parents with lost children. We winced when we saw a grown man shove a little girl out of the way. We felt the sadness of these little kids who walked away with no eggs.

But I also saw God's love. I saw parents whose children had gotten too many eggs giving some of them to other children with none. (I also saw the opposite, of course.)

So, to the masses out there who came to the Great Pearland Egg Drop and had a miserable time, I am really sorry. This was supposed to be amazing.

Satan showed up, and brought some destruction.

But guess what? God was there too. He was just harder to see if you weren't looking.

I was forwarded this incredible video, and if you like country music, it is going to blow you away. And if you don't, try to suffer through it and listen to the words :)



I hope everyone had a great Easter, and I hope you will stop and think about different ways you may have seen God show up Saturday. And, if nothing else, pray for those that were there who were not so kind. Make it possible for God to be included in your experience, even if He wasn't on Saturday.

NOW, onto my super-cute little Lorelai Kate!

It's amazing how much fun a one year old can have just running around a parking lot!

Here she is in her tutu, BIG bow (as promised) and pink converse:





My girly girl taking a juice break:

Not so sure about that hellicopter...


Okay, it's gone now. Fun can resume.



As you can see, Lorelai was not crazy about the hellicopter. To me, it was all a little anticlimatic. They threw the eggs from the hellicopter out of plastic bags... the anticipation was exciting, though. Lorelai was too scared to go grab eggs after the'copter went away, so she dug her nails in me and screamed for DaDa. Fun times. In the end, though, it was lots of exhausting fun.

In Him who was raised from the dead so that I might live,
Katie

Happy Easter!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Much better ;) (Oh, and thanks for getting me in trouble with Aunt Melissa :0)

On a positive note, John was quite excited about the Helicopter. He was hooting and hollering and clapping for it. It was pretty adorable.

Catherine said...

Sorry it didn't work out as planned! Lorelai was adorable as ever though!!!! Hope you had a great Easter.

Jodi said...

I need to read the previous post! Where can I find that?!

The Littles said...

Andrew- so glad you approve :) and you're welcome for getting you in trouble with Aunt Melissa, but I can't imagine "getting in trouble" means anything more than her saying in her sweet voice "Andrew! Be Kind!" :)

JohnsonFamily said...

So, I am not sure I can wait until December(when I will be in TX and will make sure to make Katie time ;-))
to trade for some no slip hair clips.
Is the how to a secret trade or can I persuade it out of you? Or is there anything crafty that I can make for you and we can have a crafty exchange?


Love the blog. Found some old pics of us in high school....fun times!

Kelly Collins said...

Katie
Glad you posted the video... it brings it all together. It is a shame that more people could not say something positive about the drop. WOW what a crowd the church was able to gather.. and WOW what a lesson we learned so we can do it better next time!

NANA